- I am here.
Mr. Adrien, a clairvoyant medium who had never seen the spirit during its life, gave the following description, considered very accurate by those who were present and who knew it: Long face, willow cheeks; wrinkled and shaggy forehead; slightly aquiline and long nose; gray protruded eyes; median, mocking mouth; a little pale complexion, gray hair and long beard; bigger rather than small build. Frayed and worn out blue cloth jacket; old and rotten black pants; a colorless handkerchief replacing a tie.
2. Do you remember your latest Earthly life?
3. What was the reason that led you to live such an eccentric life?
- I was tired of life and felt sorry for people and their motivations.
4. Some say that it was vengeance and that you wanted to humiliate a relative in a better position. Is that true?
- Not only that. By humiliating that man I humiliated many others.
5. If it was vengeance then it cost you dearly since it prevented you from enjoying all pleasures of social life for many years in order to satisfy that desire. Don’t you find it a bit too harsh?
- I enjoyed things differently.
6. Was there a philosophical thought besides that? Would it be the reason why they compared you to Diogenes?
- There was a relationship with the less healthy part of that man’s philosophy.
7. What do you think about Diogenes?
- Not much: in a lesser degree it is the same that I think about myself. Diogenes had the advantage that he did what I did but among people who were less civilized than my contemporaries.
8. Nevertheless there is a difference between you and Diogenes: his behavior was a consequence of his philosophical system whilst yours was led by vengeance.
- Vengeance led me to the philosophy.
9. Did you suffer by being so isolated, for being the object of neglect and disdain and for the fact that your education separated you both from the hobos and from the educated people?
- I knew that we have no friends on Earth. Ah! How much I experienced that!
10. What do you currently do and how do you spend your time?
- I visit better worlds and enlighten myself... There are many good souls there who reveal the celestial Science of the spirits to us!
11. Do you sometimes come to the Palais-Royal, after your death?
- Why would I bother with the Palais-Royal?
12. Among the persons attending this meeting, do you recognize some that you may have met during your pilgrimage to the Palais-Royal?
- How could I not recognize them?
13. Does it please you to seem them?
- It gives me pleasure, a great pleasure really. They were good to me.
14. Do you see your friend Charles Nodier?
- Yes, particularly after his death.
15. He is errant or incarnate?
- Errant, like me.
16. Why have you chosen the Palais-Royal, then the mostly visited place in Paris, for your promenades? Wouldn’t that be contrary to your tastes for misanthropy?
- I saw everybody there, every afternoon.
17. Wouldn’t that be a sentiment of pride?
- Yes, unfortunately. Pride had an important participation in my life.
18. Are you happier now?
- Oh! Yes!
19. However, your life style must not have contributed to your betterment.
- That terrain life? Much more than you imagine! Wouldn’t I experience somber moments when returning home, alone and isolated? I then had the opportunity to ruminate many thoughts.
20. If you had the opportunity to choose another existence, what would that be?
- It would not be on your Earth. Today I can expect something better.
21. Do you remember your existence before the last one? - Yes, and others also.
22. Where have you lived those existences?
- On Earth and in other worlds.
23. And the one before the last?
- On Earth.
24. Can you tell us about it?
- No. It was an obscure and occult life.
25. Without revealing that existence, can you tell us the relationship it holds to the one that we know, since one should be consequence of the other?
- Not exactly a consequence but a complement. I led an unhappy life due to vices and defects which were much modified before I came to live the life that you know.
26. Can we do anything useful or pleasant to you?
- Ah! Not much. I am now well above Earth.